What is NSU’s summer session?
The week-long Summer Session is the yearly culmination of NSU’s activities where all circles hold their symposia at a shared location. The session takes place at a location in the Nordic or Baltic countryside, usually at the end of July. Study circles work during the day and in the evening, numerous social and cultural events take place. Excursions are made to local cultural attractions at the site of the summer session, and guests are invited to gain new perspectives on the hosting country.
A key value of NSU is that families with children can participate at the summer sessions. NSU therefore provide what we call a “children’s circle” for participants who are between three and thirteen years old.
Important information for the Summer Session 2023
Location: Palanga, Lithuania
Arrival: 27th of July 2023.
Departure day: 3 August 2023.
A typical day in the summer session
- 7:30-9:00 Breakfast
- 8:15-9:00 Morning Exercise
- 9:00-10.30 Study circle activities
- 10.30-10.45 Fika/Coffee
- 10.45-12.15 Study circle activities
- 12.15-13.45 Lunch
- 13.45-15.15 Study circle activities
- 15.15-15.30 Fika/Coffee
- 15.30-17.00 Keynote/NSU workshops, assemblies, meetings and discussion
- 18.00-19.30 Dinner
- From 19.30 Cultural Program
How to take part in the summer session
To attend, you need to apply to one of the study circles of Nordic Summer University (see list below). Once you have identified the study circle you want to participate in, you need to respond to their call of proposals before the deadline.
When your participation has been confirmed by the coordinators of your study circle, you will need to send in the payment for the summer session. You will then be able to make your own travel arrangements.
Do you have a partner or family you would like to bring? No problem. Just make sure you choose the right type of accommodation and that you cover their costs when you proceed with payment on the NSU website.
Nordic Summer University 2023 Study circles
- Circle 1: Place of Heritage in Interdisciplinarity
- Circle 2: Tactical arts, theory and tékhnē: Agency, bios and aesthetics
- Circle 3: The Praxis of Social Imaginaries. Cosmologies, Othering and Liminality – Circle 3 Call for Participation Summer Session 2023
- Circle 5: Racialization, Whiteness and Politics of Othering in Contemporary Europe
- Circle 6: Nordic Environmental Ethics
- Circle 7: The experiential in artistic practice and research: methods, knowledges and reflective processes
- Circle 8: Futures of Education, Cultural Diversity, Imaginations and Collective Transformations in Time of the Anthropocene
Current Ad hoc circles (one year projects):
- Ad hoc 1: The Genealogy of Normalcy and Experienced Ambiguity
- Ad hoc 3: Decolonizing social work
- Ad hoc 2: Urban-Industrial Entanglements in Crisis
- Ad hoc 4: Environmental aesthetics
- Ad hoc 5: Theorizing in catastrophic times
Price list 2023
The price range for the full week including lodging, meals and the program will be from 175 EUR to 575 EUR. Scholarship receivers would pay 175 EUR and be accommodated in twin or triple rooms. Other participants can choose between single rooms (575 EUR), a bed in a twin room if travelling alone (425 EUR), a double room or a family room if travelling with children (950 EUR for a family of three/four). The rooms are all equipped with their own private bathroom (shared with only the people on the room). All rooms at Vyturys Hotel are of modest to good quality. The rooms include bed linen and towels, and all food is also included in the price. There are enough rooms to accommodate up to 200 people, so lack of beds should not be a problem. The webshop to register and reserve a room will be open until June 1st, where you can book your accommodation once you’re accepted by one of the study circles.
How to get financial help to attend
If you have institutional support or another type of funding, we ask you that you use it to attend our week-long summer university. If you do not, NSU offers a scholarship and grant options for which the participants at the Summer Session can apply. The application period for scholarships/grants opens on the same date as the calls: April 15th. Deadline is June 1, 2023. You submit your scholarship/grant application at the same time as your proposal for the summer session to the study circle coordinator(s). Scholarship/grant recipients pay 150 euros for the whole week, including room and board. They are hosted in twin or triple rooms and generally have to dedicate a couple of hours during the week to help with various tasks. More information here. Travel support may be available for Baltic and West-Nordic participants. Please inquire when you apply. Suggestions for funding options for individuals to apply for to external funders will be shared when available.
Where is the summer session in 2023?
The Summer Session 2023 is taking place in Palanga, Lithuania.
The Summer Session 2023 will take place from July 27th until August 3rd at Palanga, Lithuania. The venue is located near the beach.
Dates 2023 to keep in mind
- 1 April – Calls for proposals are shared
- 15 May – Deadline to apply to the NSU summer session 2023 & Deadline to apply for a scholarship/grant (late applications may be accepted! So reach out to the coordinators of your study circle for more information!)
- 16 May – Scholarship & grant applicants are notified of the outcome of their funding application
- 15 May – June 1 – Registration and payment for everyone
- July 27- Arrival at Palanga and start of the summer session (volunteers arrive one day earlier)
- August 3 – Departure
For more information…
…please visit https://www.nsuweb.org To ensure that the Summer Session runs smoothly, there will be an Arrangement committee (Arrkom) at the site who will take care of NSU’s participants. The committee can be contacted with any questions or queries at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that NSU is fully run by volunteers.
Previous Summer Sessions
NSU Summer Session 2022 was held at Rønningen folkehøgskole, near Oslo.
NSU Summer Session 2021 was held online and there were some local events throughout Europe in October 2021.
NSU Summer Session 2020 was held online and there were some local events throughout Europe.
…please visit https://www.nsuweb.org To ensure that the Summer Session runs smoothly, there will be an Arrangement committee (Arrkom) at the site who will take care of NSU’s participants. The committee can be contacted with any questions or queries at email@example.com.
NSU Summer Session 2019 was held from 28th of July to 4th of August 2019 at Roosta Holiday Village (https://www.roosta.ee/en/), Haapsalu, Estonia.
All information on the Summer Session 2019 can be found here: https://arrkom2019.wixsite.com/nsu2019
NSU Summer Session 2018 was held from 29th of July to 5th of August 2018 in Fårö, Gotland, Sweden. You can read all about it here: https://summersession2018.nsuweb.org/